A few weeks ago, the semester wrapped up at my university. Our schedule was often broken up by a variety of holidays in those final class meetings (and at least one wayward fire alarm), but my students persevered, worked extremely hard, and produced some great transmedia projects. On the last day of class, we held a showcase in which I’d invited various people from the department to come check out the projects. And lest one thinks I’m biased about the awesomeness of my students because they’re my students, the feedback was markedly positive. Admittedly, there were definitely moments when I was unsure what the end results of this project might look like, but those kids rose to the occasion, and I’m definitely going to miss them after spending a great semester together talking about television and digital media. For anybody interested in seeing some of their work, you can click here, here, and here (heads up: as is often the case with transmedia, some of these sites include hidden things that you have to find as the user).
As 2016 comes to a bitter (B-I-T-T-E-R) end, and despite having such a great semester, I can’t help but be ready for this year to be over (though I’m not especially optimistic that next year will be any better). That being said, as we barrel toward the
rapture end of the year, I’m inclined to reflect on the actual good things that happened this year. So here’s a semi-comprehensive list:
- I fulfilled some childhood dreams by going to see WWE Raw.
- I successfully participated in a hot sauce eating contest (LIKE A BOSS).
- I got to go to Seattle for the first time.
- I got to meet Aja Monet.
- I finished course work.
- My husband and I celebrated 6 years together (2 of which we’ve been married for).
- I went to Wisconsin for an awesome wedding with some great friends.
- My life was blessed by getting to see Queen Bey in concert again.
- My adorable godson was born.
- I got to watch #BlackGirlMagic run roughshod over the Olympics.
- I went to Florida for another awesome wedding with some other great friends.
- An adorable new baby cousin was born.
- I got better at organization and planning (though this is still a work in progress).
- Relatedly, I passed my comprehensive exams.
- I got accepted to present at SCMS next year.
- I affirmed my commitment to pedagogy.
- I continued to grow in my understanding and embodiment of both scholarship and activism.
- I finally got the chance to play video games again (shout out to Mafia 3).
- Beyonce, Chance the Rapper, Rihanna, the Hamilton Mixtape, and Bruno Mars all gave me music for survival.
- Movies like Deadpool, Moonlight, Almost Christmas, Loving, Rogue One, Zootopia, Civil War, Ghostbusters, and Moana kept me at the movie theaters semi-regularly.
- In addition to all the shows that I already loved, new shows like Pitch, Queen Sugar, Greenleaf, Insecure, and Wynonna Earp made me really happy (this part of the list is not comprehensive at all, but I have to stop somewhere lol).
- I got to eat a LOT of fantastic food.
- I became closer to some of the relatively newer friends in my life, and let go of some things/people that weren’t enriching my life.
Alright, that’s it for this year (*fingers crossed*). See y’all next year when I’ll be back to talk about the documentary class I’m teaching ✌🏾